[600MRG] Great night on 630!

John Langridge jlangridge at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 25 13:48:25 CDT 2013

Yahoo email has been down this morning but appears to be restored so I'll make a report while its up.

Last night was great.  The band was quiet early on with /6 Pat S9+  and /20 Rudy was shockingly loud and copiable above the noise - absolutely QSO quality.  That's exciting!

No copy on /38 here but the noise that direction is high at the moment.  Hopefully that will get resolved.

WSPR yielded the first 1000 spot night since sometime last winter.  Along with that, XKA John was in here 5 times with several mutual periods of copy, so a QSO would have been possible.  John had me in there numerous time as well.  I was listening on the vertical last night rather than on the K9AY loops and it did not disappoint.

Also notable is KL7LL with 5 spots of my signal again.  That's becoming a habit and a welcome one!  VE7BDQ had his last report of me at 1208z with AC0ZL topping out at 1220z, both just prior to full sun.  The OK contingent of K5DNL and KF5JIA brought up the rear until shutdown.

The noise level was quite high this morning compared to last night.  I suppose this was a result of the X-class flaring going on.

Finally, there were a few new WSPR listeners that were on 503.9Khz by software default and I think I got the steered to 474.2 for future sessions.  Its awesome that more people are finding out about the band.  Most have no idea until they are contacted.

Hoping to be on again tonight if the WX allows.  Another storm front approaches for yet another weekend but will probably hold off storming until sometime tomorrow.

thanks to all for being on, whether a listener or TXing.. This is fun stuff!

73,

John WG2XIQ/KB5NJD