[600MRG] WSPR reception problem

John Langridge jlangridge at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 23 15:40:34 CDT 2013

Pat, hopefully someone will have some insight into what is going on and why you are no longer decoding me on WSPR. I remember you telling me now that you had heard the CW ID so its definitely me.  The drop outs in the screenshot are interesting and are the only real possibility I can think of at the moment.  If that is the result of your local noise blanking me out - wow!

As for QSO's, I have worked Eric XJM twice on CW and I know he is dealing with some antenna projects right now.  John XKA and I have been watching the WSPR reports in hopes of pulling off a JT9 QSO soon.  We are currently in a little bit of a lull compared to two weeks ago when conditions seemed to be all night.

I am hoping to work Rudy once he is up soon.  I know he is dealing with getting setup and resolving his noise problems.

WG2XUX in KS was supposed to be up in late october so hopefully he is forthcoming.

Neil, WG2XSV, is caught in some sort of NTIA/FCC whirlwind which may have to do with his proximity to an AF base.  Thats purely my speculation.  I feel horrible about that because I encouraged him to apply.

The band is starting to quieten up as it gets cooler here.  During the week I'm not in a position to be up late and typically punch out by 9 or 10.  The last few weekends have had storm fronts moving through and this coming weekend is no exception if it holds together.  Once that pattern breaks, late weekend nights work well for me.

I was hoping some update from the recent ARRL executive committee meeting would yield some additional hope that something was going to happen - the subject was on the agenda.  I guess silence is golden.  There are plenty of guys interested in working this band.  I've spent the summer meeting with them and speaking to them.  Many have been in my shack to see a demonstration.  My hope is that something will eventually happen.  What else can one say in a position of no power in the matter?

I'm interested in knowing where a lot of the original 600m guys have gone.  I know some are SK but not all of them.  If you could get 3 or 4 of those guys on somewhat regularly, you would have a party. I realize that a lot of those guys are playing on other bands and that is a good thing too but it does dilute the waters a bit.  A lot of the listeners seem to continue to make the rounds night in-night out.

Instead of considering relocating band segments again, consider cross band.  I worked /12 last winter while he was still on 495 cross band to 472 and it worked well.  I hope to work Mike again soon now that he is in the 472 band.  What happened to Ralph /7?  He has neen off for quite a while, it seems.

So thanks for trying to listen to the WSPR.  I look forward to a definitive CW QSO soon.

73,

John WG2XIQ/KB5NJD