[600MRG] For discussion: Re: Top loading a vertical on LF/MF

John Langridge jlangridge at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 27 17:57:53 CST 2013

Neil,

Let me relate some personal experience:

my first 80/160 antenna at this location was 45 feet tall with 4 umbrella wires that brought the natural resonance of the vertical to the bottom of the 80m band.  I used a coil on 160.  The ends of umbrella wires were probably 25 feet above the ground.  Those umbrella wires were greater than 45 degrees with respect to the vertical element but without running the numbers again, I don't recall how much.  At the time there was a lot of discussion about this on the topband reflector and the consensus was reached that 45 degrees was the magic number.  Any less than that and you probably had too much cancellation. I will have to check the archives over there to see if I can find the exact references but I'm not sure if there was any hard math associated with those values.  It was likely on air performance that drove a lot of that.

The antenna worked well and certainly much better than if there were no top loading at all.

It was not until I went to truly horizontal toploading wires that I realized just how much better it could be.  It was a big difference on TX, or that was my perception but its always tough to quantify those numbers when conditions  are constantly changing.  "Ground wave" seemed to show a significant increase in performance so it stands to reason that the skywave mode improved as well.  No doubt some cancellation can happen on sloping wires if they are too long or slope too drastically.

SO is the top loading necessary - yeah, I would say anything you can get in the air at the top of the vertical element, there is probably some benefit.  It would be a shame not to have some toploading.  Look at your slope angles... If they are not too drastic, you probably don't have a lot of cancellation to contend with.

After having horizontal T wires for 630m and a "taller" vertical element, I can't imagine going back to sloping wires unless I absolutely had to but I also can't imagine operating without any top loading.  Thats almost like free money.  As ON4UN says in the lowband dx book, its the only lossless loading method (minus conductor losses).

Hopefully that gives you some food for thought.  Figure out the angles and that will help you decide.

73,

John KB5NJD/WG2XIQ