[600MRG] WG2XJM heard on CW

Bill Cromwell wrcromwell at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 18:34:52 CST 2013

I turned the radios on at 23:50 Z and cranked the knob up the scale 350
kc to 474-ish. I stopped there because I heard the familiar sounds of
CW! I copied (still copying) WG2XJM sending his call twice followed by
EN91 and ending with his call twice more. Repeating as a CW beacon of
course. I first spotted XJM with the BC-453 and then dialed him in on
the RAK-7. The RAK has circuitry (more than 60 years old) to estimate
the signal performance against the background noise and XJM is at around
12 DB over the noise..loud and clear.

Neither radio was warmed up (still not) and my best guess is a frequency
near 474 or 475 kc. When the BC-453 gets touched up I will be adding a
refinement to the analog dial to resolve to the nearest 1 kc (presently
it's 10 kc) and will be able to estimate somewhat between those 1 kc
divisions. I hear the WSPR crew snorting. You ain't going to see the day
I resolve anything in milliHerz! It just ain't in me. Attitude ya know
<grin>.

So now all I need to know is far away I'm hearing XJM when he is in EN91
and I'm in EN74. Maybe a little bit farther than across the street? I'll
go look it up (if I can). I can resolve the distance a little closer
with lat/long figures.another ten yards would be so impressive <wink>.

Hark! When XJM stops I hear something way down and slightly different
frequency. Grabbing the cans and *digging*.

73,

Bill  KU8H