[600MRG] unintended consequences

Lee Mushel herbert3 at centurytel.net
Sun Nov 10 17:04:42 CST 2013

Yes, you are not alone!   In the mid-sixties I gave a series of speeches
advocating the use of  corona discharge as a means of enhancing adhesion to
many plastics.   Some years later, working for an entirely different
corporation, I visited a plant in Durban, South Africa where they had
adopted my suggestions and since the electrical generator I has suggested
they use also generated considerable rf power at frequencies used in
maritime situations it was only a matter of minutes, I guess, before the
authorities showed up and shut the place down since Durban is a major
seaport and all shipping activity had some to a screeching halt!   The
solution they used was to enclose the entire plant with copper screen.
They had some very uncomplimentary comments about the idiot in the U. S. who
had suggested they do this without warning that there might be a "downside."
Thank goodness they didn't remember the name of the aforementioned idiot and
I surely did not bring the topic up again.

Lee  K9WRU