[600MRG] WD2XSH/20

Rudy Severns n6lf at arrl.net
Sun Nov 10 14:02:43 CST 2013

If any of you doubt that you will be punished for your sins let me tell you
a little story.

Beginning some 40+ years ago I was a designer of switching power supplies
when they first became significant.  Initially I was designing and promoting
switchers running at 20 kHz or so.  But then I had the bright idea that you
could run at much higher frequencies, even 600 kHz or higher, which I
proceeded to demonstrate with actual converters in a series of IEEE
technical papers.  My work was well received and I was elected a Fellow of
the IEEE for this work.  Not too long afterward I spent several years as an
applications manager at several semiconductor companies, primarily promoting
MOSFET's for use in switching supplies.  The use of power MOSFETs made it
much easier to operate at frequencies well above 100 kHz.

I played a role in promoting high frequency switching power supplies.  Now I
am being driven nuts by switching power supply noise!  There is comeuppance
in the world!  I have been rewarded for my sins.

73, Rudy