[600MRG] New RadioTelegraph License

sbjohnston at aol.com sbjohnston at aol.com
Tue May 21 00:59:19 CDT 2013

 I'm proud to announce that the FCC granted my new RadioTelegraph Operator License today.  It is number           T000000001, so I am the very first to receive the new type of radiotelegraph ticket.  There doesn't seem to be a T000000002 yet, so apparently I am the *only* holder as well.  -grin-   That and $5 will buy me lunch at McDonalds.

When the FCC announced the new radiotelegraph license structure in January (see below), I asked the FCC's helpdesk what elements would be needed for me to get the new ticket.  They confirmed that applicants for the new Radiotelegraph Operator License would be required to pass written elements 1 and 6, and telegraphy elements 1 and 2.  I hold an Amateur Extra class license issued before April 15, 2000, so my passing of that 20 wpm code test would substitute for Telegraphy Elements 1 and 2.  I also hold a General Radiotelephone Operator License (was originally a First-Phone), so that would cover written element 1.  That left me only needing to take the exam for written element 6.

ETA was the only COLEM (the commercial equivalent of volunteer examiners) that responded to my email inquiries - none of the others even bothered to reply.  It took me three months to work out with ETA how to take the exam. Their examiners based at a nearby college apparently vanished without notice, and thus there was a lot of dead-end emailing and back-n-forth discussion. ETA finally offered the option to have a local library proctor the exam.  I made all the library arrangements and took the exam a couple weeks ago.  In just a few days ETA let me know I'd passed.  Then last week they told me they needed two signed passport photos for the application.  Fortunately I got their message when I was having lunch next door to a Walgreens that takes such photos, near a post office where I could mail them to ETA, all done in a half-hour or so.  ETA apparently received the pictures in time to submit my application on the first day the Commission was able to accept them, May 20.

Steve WD8DAS

sbjohnston at aol.com
http://www.wd8das.net/
Radio is your best entertainment value.

Changes to FCC Radiotelegraph Operator Licenses Coming May 20

Effective May 20, 2013, the FCC will no longer accept applications for First (T1), Second (T2) or Third Class (T3) Radiotelegraph Operator Certificates. In addition, the FCC has consolidated the T1 and T2 Radiotelegraph Operator Certificates into a new license class called the Radiotelegraph Operator License (T). According to the FCC, this change takes effect upon renewal: T1s and T2s that are renewed on or after May 20, 2013 will be renewed as Ts, but existing T1s and T2s will retain their current license class for the duration of the current license term. The Commission also consolidated the T3 with Marine Radio Operator Permits (MP); T3s renewed on or after May 20, 2013 will be renewed as MPs, but existing T3s will retain their current license class for the duration of the current license term. These new rules were first announced in a Report and Order (WT Docket No. 10-177), issued January 8, 2013.