[600MRG] Night of Nights - enjoyed

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Mon Jul 15 16:10:32 CDT 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Cromwell" <wrcromwell at gmail.com>
To: <600mrg at w7ekb.com>
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2013 11:27 AM
Subject: Re: [600MRG] Night of Nights - enjoyed

> On 07/15/2013 09:18 AM, KB6YNO wrote:
>> Bill,
>>
>> You didn't hear WCC because that station wasn't on the air and hasn't
>> between for years using CW. Shipcom was keying WLO & KLB. Radiomarine no
>> longer keys WCC. That line was disconnected when KPH closed in 1998.
>>
>> As far as I know, Globe Wireless has no interest in participating in N o
>> N. They are the current owner of the callsign, which is used by one of
>> their email stations in MD.
>>
>> The receiver site us now used by the city of Chatham:
>> http://chathammarconi.org/HistoryCMMCSite.html.
>>
>> Eric, KB6YNO
>>
>> Sent from my phone. Typoz expected.
>>

> Hi,
>
> There was talk of WCC having been aired by a pirate. I was only mentioning
> that I hadn't heard it. Sadly, there are some good things that we are just
> not going to get back. But what's this? An email station in Bahst'n? Now
> I'm going on a hunt for...WCC. What's an email station? How does it
> operate? Email on radio?
>
> Several times I heard of Landlubbers (actually I did serve aboard a Navy
> destroyer) intervening when ships at sea ran into trouble. Many other
> instances of sending correspondence to various ships at various times
> similar to QSL cards (on steroids) with replies and even souvenirs back
> from the ships. I did follow the progress of some ships form time to time
> but didn't follow on with personal correspondence. Mostly because there
> gaps in my "reception reports due to an aggressive work schedule. Now I
> have the time they're just not there any more.
>
> 73,
>
> Bill  KU8H

My interest in maritime frequencies started with the wreck of the SS Flying
Enterprise and her skipper Capt Kurt Carlsen who operated as W2ZXM/MM with
his homebrew AM KW. I was still too young to have heard him live but
recordings were plentiful.
Since he lived in NJ the news and TV on the NYC stations were full of
stories.

I later had the pleasure of working Kurt several times aboard the SS Flying
Enterprise II which I believe was all Collins gear.

Carl
KM1H