[600MRG] restoring old crystals ??

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Tue Feb 5 16:45:43 CST 2013

On 5 Feb 2013 at 17:28, Joseph Krzeszewski wrote:

> > Hydrofluoric acid works too.. but it is totally dangerous
> > and these days probably not easily obtained.

You may be able to get a small quantity from a University chemical stores.
Transporting it is a problem of course: it cannot be stored in glass bottles.

> You could try "Whink" brand rust stain remover. It is about 3.5%
> hydrofluoric acid and available in my local grocery store.

Although it would probably work to etch crystals, it would also probably be
very slow. It would be an excellent cleaner for the crystals in most cases.

However, rubber gloves and eye protection are pretty much required.

As I understand it, HF will penetrate skin and actually dissolve bone inside
the flesh.

> I was amazed that anything with hydrofluoric acid was available to the
> general public.

Yes. I thought so too. "Whink" does an excellent job of removing rust stains
from practially everything, including clothes....which surprised me when I
read the directions on the bottle.

I keep one or two bottles of it here.

Ken W7EKB