[600MRG] restoring old crystals ??

Joseph Krzeszewski jski at WPI.EDU
Tue Feb 5 16:28:19 CST 2013

John Gibbs wrote:
> A long time ago I used a cleaner called "Bon Ami" with a bit of water to
> make a paste which I smeared on a piece of window glass and moved the
> quartz blank in a figure eight pattern to make the ft-243 xtal higher in
> frequency..   Also tried tooth paste with not as good results.  A lot of
> times I wasn't very successful.
>
> A bit of pencil lead on the center of the blank tended to lower the
> frequency a bit.
> Hydrofluoric acid works too.. but totally dangerous and these days
> probably not easily obtained.
>
> 73  John / VE7BDQ

You could try Whink brand rust stain remover. It is about 3.5%
hydrofluoric acid and available in my local grocery store.

I was amazed that anything with hydrofluoric acid was available to the
general public.

-- Joe

--
Joseph M. Krzeszewski                Manager of Telecommunications
jski at wpi.edu                         Worcester Polytechnic Institute