[600MRG] Fwd: Re: Testing new Transmit downconverter

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Sat Apr 27 18:34:16 CDT 2013

Dave,

Thanks for the information.  I read the Elecraft temp comp procedure
and it seems clear enough.  I am a bit confused that the low temp
cited is 20C (68F) as a refrigerator typically runs about 4C or
40F.  I suppose either it is expected the radio temp raises this high
during the time to reconnect and set it up, or the radio is not in
the refrigerator long enough to reach 4C (40F).

As far as an accurate 50-MHz source, I will use the +10 dBm output of
my OCXO at 10 MHz (+/-0.5 E-12).  At 50-MHz the fifth harmonic is
+/-2.5 E-12.  I can also check the KX3 with my counter (EIP-538)
which is as good as my Rubidium at 10-MHz.  I have some schottky
diodes for making harmonics.  Output should be better than 0 dBm.

I wonder if you have measured the KX3 xmit frequency directly?  If it
holds within 10-Hz on 28-MHz it is usable with eme transverters and
mw transverters.  A 10-GHz transverter using a 1136 MHz PLL will hold
to 9-Hz and adding up to 10-Hz keeps the drift just inside the 20-Hz
decoder filter in JT65.

Of course most mw transverters use a 144-MHz IF so this question will
have to be repeated once the 2 meter transverter is available for the
KX3.  Since the 2m LO will also run from the KX3 master oscillator,
it may not be that bad.  Guess we will wait to measure it.

I am hoping the KX3-2M is stabile enough for use with mw
transverters.  If so, it will challenge the FT-817 for being the
"best" mw IF radio (whose requirements exceed 600m standard).

73, Ed - KL7UW