[600MRG] Fwd: Re: Testing new Transmit downconverter

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Fri Apr 26 02:32:54 CDT 2013

Dave,

This is the mixing approach I favor as one can utilize high precision
10-MHz references as the LO.  However the IF radio has to be capable
of transmitting on 10.470-10.480 MHz.  This is outside the amateur
30m band.  The K3 is able to run there with no issue, but might be
challenging for other radios (without modification).

I have the K3's little brother, the KX3.  But it is not as versatile
and also does not exhibit as good frequency stability.  I understand
an external reference ckt is under consideration at Elecraft which
may fix that.  Still one might have to design a transverter that
utilizes a standard ham band as IF.  This may require finding an
adequate oven controlled oscillator to provide a super-stable LO.  A
TCXO at 3.0 MHz with 0.5-ppm might suffice (3000 kHz x 0.5 E-6 = 1.5-Hz).

73, Ed - KL7UW