[600MRG] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Testing new Transmit downconverter

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Fri Apr 26 01:31:58 CDT 2013

Pat,

At 09:49 AM 4/25/2013, pat bunn wrote:

> [...]

I think too many folks think one has to run 100w into a
transverter.  You only need about 10mw to drive a mixer and that will
not result in thermal drift.  On 490-510 KHz I run my K3 at 0.1mw
output.  The 10w amplifier is not engaged.  RF is output thru the
low-level transverter interface at nominal 1mw.  I actually have to
run at minimum to avoid overdriving the NDB transmitter which is
serving as a very linear amp.  Since it sits 12-feet away from the K3
there is no thermal effect from either the amplifier stages or the
55v PS, thus the radio achieves the same freq. stability in Tx as it
does in Rx which is 0.1ppm.  At 500-KHz this translates as +/- .05
Hz.   If the K3 is run at 10-MHz into a transverter it can achieve
1-Hz stability.  I will not comment about other radios as I do not
own them, but I suspect if the transmit power stages are disabled
then decent stability can be achieved.

If all you want to run is CW then the rest of what you wrote is
fine.  But CW is limited in ability to work at weak signal
levels.  That is why QRSS and other modes are used.  Some digital
modes do not require linear amps, and some do.

73, Ed - KL7UW