[600MRG] Stability and Such

John Molnar wa3etd at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 20:12:32 CDT 2013

I agree with most of todays discussion regarding stability.

Lacking the luxury of a higher-end IF transceiver here, I was forced to
take action after initial ugly results on WSPR-15.  The designers of the
Yaesu 857 thoughtfully placed the 22.xx MHz oscillator directly in line
with fan air vent, fan comes on with TX, regardless of power level.

As a K3 is not in my immediate future, I removed the oscillator board, a
pin plug scheme, and extended the leads with '141 coax.  The oscillator is
now located in an insulated box next to the rig, the coax exits the rig via
the air vent.  The oscillator board is powered 24/7 with its own (linear)
supply.

This, in conjunction with a GPS disciplined transmit converter allows
perfect straight line waterfall WSPR-15 operation with essentially zero
drift.

John WA3ETD/WG2XKA