[600MRG] WIMA capacitors AND substitutes

lstoskopf@cox.net lstoskopf@cox.net lstoskopf at cox.net
Sat Jan 13 19:27:03 CST 2018

The Russian amps come and go on eBay.  Careful...some have the devices fitted, some have heat sinks, etc.  I bought a 500 watt water cooled one and a 1KW one with a BIG heat sink.  Just finishing pre-tax info so going to tackle the conversion.

You need to read the Microsemi AN1818:  A 700W Broadband Amplifier Using VRF2944.  Will get you on the right track.

I'm thinking that about all you need to do is change the Ferrite cores.  Best bet seems to be the Laird LFB259128-000 for the big ones.  I'll see if I need to change the input transformer...probably will.

Now for the fun.  I really don't see an easy way to get those matching network off of the boards and back on.  They are wadded in and solder stuck underneath.  Luckily this is LF so I'm just going to put the replacements on a separate board flat so I can easily handle them.  Also will probably use 5 of the 0.1 630V caps as the freq is lower and series Z higher.

The other thing to watch is while the output balun really is just to balance the output on the two units I have and use 50 ohm coax, the two connected to the transistors are wired differently for different impedance transformation.  So the coax according to the ap note should be the geometric mean of the impedances...but I'm not sure so will try to use the coax I'm removing.

Will let you know if I get it done.  N0UU