[600MRG] FT Question Answered?

John Andrews w1tag at charter.net
Sat Jan 13 14:45:34 CST 2018

Bill,

What you say is correct for speech or any audio that has multiple tones
<<at the same time>>. But FT8, WSPR, and the vast majority of sound-card
generated modes only output one tone at a time. In that case, you can
have non-linear amplifier stages after the SSB signal is generated.

Consider a properly run SSB generator in USB mode at 474.200 kHz. The
carrier frequency and the LSB are suppressed by maybe 50 dB. If you
apply a single 1500 Hz tone to the input, you will get a carrier at
474.200 + 1.500 = 475.700 kHz and nothing else of significance. A
non-linear amplifier will do no damage to a single frequency signal. No
magic involved.

So, as long as you avoid the use of simultaneous multi-tone or PSK
modes, linearity is not required after the SSB generator. FT8 and the
other "K1JT" modes are all single-tone.

John, W1TAG