[600MRG] New beacon signal on 474.5 kHz

Paul Signorelli w0rw1 at msn.com
Mon Jan 8 13:29:28 CST 2018

New beacon signal on 474.5 kHz sending “R” in CW at 3 wpm every 30 seconds.  i  thought this was the  rare Russian “R” beacon but there was no QSB from night to day.

Or it could have been an “On The Beach” Coke bottle.

Then i traced this new beacon signal to my CenturyLink Modem (PK5001z) that occurred while it was trying to reconnect to the Internet.  My line had a bad DSL port about 1 mile away.

A the modem was tryng to reconnect every 30 seconds, It  was puting out  a signal on 474.5 khz  (The main 630 Meter CW calling frequency).  The signal is are not there when the Modem/Internet   is connected and working.

Nice… Now i can monitor my internet connection status right on 474.5 kHz from my shack while listening for weak signals.

It has an FCC label on it, I wonder if it is Part 15 or Part 97. At least it is RoHS, so when i dump it in the trash it won’t contaminate any wetlands or streams.

Paul    w0rw