[600MRG] 600MRG Digest, Vol 81, Issue 4

Dave Riley dave.riley3 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 4 14:46:26 CST 2018

Hey! Paul,

Don't give up the ship... Do you have a shelf for unfinished projects??
Park it and do something more immediate... I'm averaging 4 projects at a
time so if one fails, big deal...

There are lots of surplus MICA caps from .1 - .0005

Let me see if I can dig up the diagram for VE1HF PA... It is VERY stable
and sine wavey...

It is so over built that it just doesn't quit on it's own but only when
I cause it...:-)
Two HF parasitic R/C nets from the drains to ground keep it as an
amplifier instead of an oscillator....

I use a pair of IFRP450s and they really are hard to destroy... LOTs of
headroom... 2 bux each...

If I turn up the drive it shows 190 watts out but I don't know for how
long so am happy with 35-50 watts continuous and they only take a few
milliwatts to drive...

For 1W erp I use the output of the transverter direct to loop and then
add the IRFs for 50W out to cause 5W erp...

Also am using a different approach to see real power... I tap the 50ohm
line out coax with a resistive voltage divider, then to a diode,
variable resistor and one last bypass cap.. I calibrate the DC trace on
the Scope to indicate 10V RMS per CM... Set the zero value down the
bottom on the trace and add drive till the DC line comes up to the 50V
rms value ( 5cm ), then easy to square that number divided by 50 to
indirectly arrive at power that is close to within a DB anyway...
Besides 50V RMS in 50 ohms = 50 Watts, a real handy reference...

I'll get back...   DaveR aa1a