[600MRG] WIMA capacitors

Larry larry at w7iuv.com
Thu Jan 4 12:50:57 CST 2018

Recently I had the opportunity to look close at some caps for 475/137
filter use.

I measured the Q at the approximate operating frequency.

The best is silver mica caps. Expensive but usually worth it for
critical applications. Unfortunately not usually available in the values
needed for 137.

Next best is the 715P "orange drops", expensive and sometimes hard to get.

Third on my list is the WIMA MKP1 series. Seems to be OK in all my
applications so far and is affordable.

I have had bad luck using the FKP1 series caps. The ones I looked at had
higher ESR, lower Q and got hot in my filters.

Kemet and other vendors didn't seem to be much good, at least the types
I had access to.

YMMV....

73,

Larry - W7IUV