[600MRG] WIMA capacitors

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Thu Jan 4 10:51:42 CST 2018

I had one night of glory before my amplifier decided to act up
again. I spent an afternoon building the thing and now have close to
200 hours into trying to make it work. I'm calling it a lost cause
at this point. Into the dead project heap with it! The bear of it
is, I can't confirm positively the amplifier is the problem and not
some other gremlin in my station. Short of trying a different
amplifier I have no way to determine that.

Anyway, at some point I will want to try again with a more well
proven design. I was looking at the (modified) GW3UEP 100W class E
amplifier. I have all the parts except capacitors, but the specified
WIMA FKP2 capacitors appear to be unavailable. I can't afford silver
micas in those values!

So I went looking for alternatives. The WIMA FKP1 series is readily
available in the proper values and voltage ratings, but I am not
sure they can be successfully substituted in this application. Also
they are not available in any tighter tolerance than 5%.

Kemet offers an extensive line of pulse rated polypropelene caps,
but they are so much cheaper I assume they are not appropriate here?

Any suggestions?

73,
Paul N1BUG