[600MRG] Regen Rx? I'm Missing Something?

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Sat Feb 24 12:24:51 CST 2018

On 24 Feb 2018 at 12:12, k0htf at netins.net wrote:

> Hi all from Iowa.

Hello, Doc. :-)

> As Frank, K3DZ, said "As a nostalgic topic, great!" Sometimes the really
> olde designs and stuff are surprising in what they can do. (That does
> not necessarily apply to me. I am 81 and have been a ham for a bit over
> 60 years....)

Well, I am 75 and have been an active ham since 1956, so I am in the same boat as you
are.

> If anyone mentioned the autodyne circuit I missed it. A good description
> is at:
> http://www.rfcafe.com/references/qst/rationalizing-autodyne-january-1933-qst.htm

Yup.

> Shades of a Hartley oscillator.

Ha ha! Yes.

> I have several olde radio books that say something about regenerative
> receivers. One big concern was their strong radiation. I have talked
> with several radio men from the WW-II era that confirmed that. So, the
> addition of an RF stage served the two purposes of isolation and added
> sensitivity.

Yes, that is true, but we aren't so much worried about that any more. Besides, another
advantage of having the RF amp is that external influences have less effect on the detector.

**I** like regennies for both their simplicity, and for what to me is "transparency". I.e.,
listening with them, I get a sense of having a clear window to the RF spectrum with nothing
in between that and my ears.

Every solid-state rig I have ever used (and I have quite a few of them) introduces artifacts
that I don't like into the received signal. They "sound" quite different to my ears, and I don't
like that. Of course, being a musician, I suppose that has an effect...

Ken W7EKB

---