[600MRG] 630 Meters

Frederick Raab w1fr at gmrr.biz
Mon Sep 18 19:34:01 CDT 2017

September 17, 2017

Gentlemen:

     First of all, I want to thank all of you for
helping to make the 630-meter band happen.  There
were a bunch of nay-sayers.  We worked hard and
followed the rules and after 13.5 years, we have
success.

     Second, I would like to encourage anyone with
any possible interest in operating on 2200 or 630
meters to file notice with the UTC for BOTH bands.
This will prevent the power industry from installing
an in-band PLC near your QTH.  You should do this
sooner rather than later!

     If your application is rejected, you should
let us know.  We may be able to make a picture of
where in-band PLCs are located.

     My recommendation for continued use of the
experimental licenses is what I have told the
WD2XSH operators:

Effective October 15 (the first day amateur
operations are possible), experimental stations
should cease operation on the amateur frequencies.

If your license provides some additional
spectrum adjacent to the amateur band, it is
a good place to operate one-way beacons and
wideband signals.  This will conserve the
limited space in the amateur bands for QSOs.

     The FCC has said it expects experimental
operations to transition to amateur operations.
So if you wish to renew your experimental
license, I recommend asking for frequencies
adjacent to the amateur band and stating an
intent to transmit some sort of unusual signal
that is not appropriate for the amateur band.

     Unfortunately, amateur and experimental
stations are not allowed to communicate with
each other.

     So now we wait and see how the UTC deals
with our notices.  Good luck to all!

73, Fritz, W1FR,
Coordinator, ARRL 500-kHz Experiment

Frederick H. (Fritz) Raab, Ph.D.