[600MRG] de K1TG

patrick hamel pehamel at cableone.net
Sat Sep 16 15:17:10 CDT 2017

Roger and all hams transitioning to 600 or 2200 meters,
(Forgive me if you are a former AM broadcast engineer).

Now you have a month to decide the way you will reach your limit of RADIATED power (not what you put into the antenna connection).
Poor antenna and burn power,
good antenna and low power rig,
BIG transmitting loop -- or anywhere in between.
I used a 10 foot pair of copper pipes spaced 120 feet apart up 50 feet and 11 wires run between them with a 16 inch tall by 16 inch diameter coil hanging below it to get the best efficiency I could get on my city lot. There are lots of radial wires and chicken wire in the lawn.
There were some pictures available on a web site attached to this 600MRG email, the pictures should be there.

Please spend time on www.500kc.com technical section. We put a lot of good information there, including how to compute your RADIATED power.
See Ralph's W5JGV site, he has shots of burning insulators you need to see and a video of him erecting a vertical alone.

NOTE, Even with a quiet loop receiving antenna, the noise affects the filters in a receiver to the point where CW faster than 15 WPM becomes a blur if the filters are narrow enough to allow detecting the signal farther away than across town. I used the Icom R-75 with two narrow 250HZ CW filters (one in each IF) and IF shift to make QSOs with New York state -- and he was running high power into his antenna.
It can be done and reliably, but "don't believe everything the salesman says" is an old but true saying. I don't have anything to sell you.
BCNU & 73,
Pat W5THT & WD2XSH/6