[600MRG] 2200M Denial!

Dexter McIntyre W4DEX dexter.mc at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 12:27:45 CDT 2017

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 6:40 PM, John Andrews <w1tag at charter.net> wrote:

> Interesting. UTC has denied my operation on 2200M from my Holden, MA QTH.

John,

That's like "a black fly in your Chardonnay".  Ironic that you, of all
people, would be denied 2200 meters after all the years operating the
band.   Hopefully you'll find a way around this restriction.

For the past few years every time I spotted a power substation I would look
for evidence of a PCL line trap.  So far I've not found one.  There are
lots of pictures online of these coils.

https://www.google.com/search?q=plc+line+traps&safe=active&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjOw-my1vrWAhUBdCYKHQtqAmYQ_AUICygC&biw=1440&bih=790

It looks like most are in a readily visible location.  There is a 100KV
line a few hundred feet from my home that links two substations.  I'm about
in the middle with each substation about 3 miles away.  No indication of a
line traps at either.  I assume there are many more substations in your
area so not likely you would find the one with PLC equipment.   I wonder if
anyone has seen any indication of this old technology in use.

Dex