[600MRG] Could my antenna be a very large Dummy Load ? - Long Reading

Eric NO3M no3m at no3m.net
Thu Oct 12 21:29:47 CDT 2017

Pat

Consider your last line:

> We all have a lot to learn with the 5 watt erp limit.

With an EIRP limit, it's not necessary to keep chasing after loss
reduction, efficiency, etc. like it is for say a 160M antenna.  The
beauty of an EIRP limit is that we can tolerate some losses, how much
depends on 1) how much power you can generate up to a TPO limit, 2) how
much power you are willing to waste due to losses, 3) you are prepared
to deal with the potentially obscene RF voltages.

Hams are used to TPO limits, and increasing efficiency (reducing losses,
etc.) or manipulating an antenna's pattern (arrays, etc.) is the only
way to improve the situation beyond the 1.5kW TPO limit.  A guy with a
1% efficient antenna and another with a 20% efficient antenna, both with
the appropriate TPO's to reach the 5W EIRP limit, should in theory have
the same far field signal strengths.  The alternative to raising your
coil would have been applying more power to get the same result.
Whether that would have been feasible or not depends on the points (1-3)
above.

73 Eric NO3M / WG2XJM