[600MRG] top loading

Eric NO3M no3m at no3m.net
Thu Oct 12 20:41:58 CDT 2017

Yes, I was not considering the inductor losses.

However, I wonder if, in Andy's particular case, he is at or nearly at
the point of transitioning to ground improvements to get the most "bang
for the buck" with additional wire?

Re-modeling a 30 ft monopole with 600ft of toploading (4x150), I get
0.381 - j251.4.  It would take 85 uH to resonate.  This is close to
Andy's actual 82uH.

A 30ft monopole with 1350ft of toploading (4x ~338) is 0.409 - j37.21,
taking 13 uH to resonate, or about 15% of his current inductance (38%
number of turns).  In the case of say a 6x6 in. coil, that's going from
approx. 28 turns to 11 turns.  Of course, it depends on the coil's
construction (Q, etc.), but will it really make that much difference in
coil loss reduction at these relatively low inductances?

Thanks for your work on the subject.  I need to do some additional reading.

73 Eric NO3M / WG2XJM