[600MRG] Approved 2x

patrick hamel pehamel at cableone.net
Sat Nov 18 21:55:04 CST 2017

Jeremy,
I have never been in your part of the country and don't know the geology, but here on the gulf coast we had an AM broadcast tower over the water on piers which covered the entire gulf coast with 1 KW.
After the storm "Camille" in 69 the company moved inland about a mile in wet sand. At That point, the signal strength was drastically reduced just 15 miles away.
Whether your dirt would act like the wet sand in a microwave radar dummy load, or whatever I can't guess, but you can find out  by measuring the "R" component of "R +/- X). Your radiator will have a known radiation Resistance calculated based on electrical effective height. If your Vector analyst shows a resistance several times greater than that predicted "R" then start adding the radials. Remember your instrument measures all the losses plus radiation resistance. Anything near the radiator will soak up power. A 70 foot tall vertical base-loaded will have several thousand volts across the base insulator and coil. Get the biggest insulator you can find - Power company surplus but NOT hollow PVC!

Also for a vertical, the top loading is considered loading only at these frequencies and not part of the radiation producing antenna for the EIRP math.
Look at www dot antennas by n6lf dot com and spend some cost-free time reading -- before spending money on hardware.
www.500kc.com, aa1a's site, and w5jgv's site all have good information.
73,
Pat W5THT & WD2XSH/6