[600MRG] 200 ohms

Ben Gelb ben at gelbnet.com
Tue Nov 7 10:43:10 CST 2017

Thanks all for the comments!

Amplifier is putting 600 watts into the antenna, so even with low
efficiency, EIRP is around 1 watt. Hooray for EIRP-based regulation! I'm of
half a mind to change to squeeze another few dB out of the amp... though it
does seem kind of obscene already.

I was using the calculator at
http://www.472khz.org/pages/tools/antenna-simulator.php, but I like the
VK1SV one (thanks Roger) since it backsolves all the parameters based on
the measured Z.

Marshall - the tree conductivity result there is interesting. Picking some
assumptions:

- suppose antenna contacts a 3 foot long 2-inch diameter branch (which
later connects to the tree trunk, which for now assume is 0 ohms)
- pick worst case 1.0 mho/meter conductivity from the result Marshall
shared (high end of the range)

So... according to Google:
3 feet / (pi*1 inch)^2 / (.1 mho/meter) = 143.604827 ohms

I don't think putting a 143 ohm R in parallel with the radiation resistance
would move the feedpoint Z that much... (0.2 Rr would win), and that
assumes perfect coupling of a very conductive tree! So I am starting to
think maybe its not the tree that is to blame (at least not much). Or maybe
I'm not thinking about it right?

Guess I just need more radials :(.