[600MRG] 630m ARRL Worked-All-States progress list

patrick hamel pehamel at cableone.net
Mon Nov 6 01:24:58 CST 2017

Warren,
To date the work on 630 meters has been experimental and done by only a few "experimenters" not "communicators".
The band must be populated with enough message-passing hams for emergency "usefulness" to develop.
Things would be really bad for the cell phones to be out and the ionosphere blacked out so that 600 meter ground wave would become a primary way to communicate - but that is the only situation any ham communications become useful to politicians.
The various digital modes are aimed at the experimenter now, but activity on the new bands will create a demand for digital modes suitable for message-passing in the near future.
When we have the capability, then the digital nets will develop with their new protocols.
About Emergency communications;
The thing about being a hero is that someone must first be in distress for me to help.
It is not christian for me to wish for someone to need help so I can help.
So let us trudge one step at a time and be prepared for what we hope will never happen in our lifetimes.
73,
Pat W5THT