[600MRG] The need to transceive

John Harper johnae5x at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 16:37:20 CDT 2017

There is indeed a rx antenna jack on my Flex but I didn't know this
optional capability existed with the MF Solutions amp - just re-read the
manual and it looks like I'll be good to go on transceiving once I install
that option! I'll order the parts asap.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and 73,

John AE5X
https://ae5x.blogspot.com

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Roger Graves <ve7vv at shaw.ca> wrote:

> John,
>
> Is there a receive antenna jack? That is what I was thinking the guys with
> the 6700 would be using. The MF Solutions has an option to switch the TX
> antenna to another jack on receive, which could be connected to a receive
> antenna jack on the Flex. Possible with your rig?
>
> Roger
>
> On Nov 2, 2017, at 12:04 PM, John Harper <johnae5x at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Roger, I'm limited to using the transverter output for the 80m drive
> signal. If I used the regular output I would not be able to receive since
> the transverter would be inline. Crossband operation still uses only one
> antenna, at least on the Flex 6300 - the higher end Flexes may be different.
>

> John AE5X
> https://ae5x.blogspot.com
>

> On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 1:40 PM, Roger Graves <ve7vv at shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> John,
>>
>> If you need 80m drive, then do you not have 100W output available, which
>> can be reduced to 1/2W?
>> I know of Flex6700 owner who is planning on using the MFSolutions
>> transverter with his Flex, without any other amp stage.
>> You just operate “crossband”, listening on 630, transmitting on 80.
>> Or have I misunderstood something here?
>>
>> Roger
>>
>> On Nov 2, 2017, at 11:15 AM, John Harper <johnae5x at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Roger,
>>
>> I'm using the amp from WA3ETD which requires an 80m input:
>> http://njdtechnologies.net/the-mf-solutions-630-meter-transm
>> it-downconverter/
>>
>> I'm currently looking at small QRP transmitters since I need an 80m
>> signal to drive the amp. A few kits are available and I suppose I could
>> just use the components of the final 2N222 or 3907 or whatever, omitting
>> the oscillator circuitry. I built many of the SoftRock kits a few years ago
>> but eventually sold them.
>>
>> 73 - John
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 12:52 PM, Roger Graves <ve7vv at shaw.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> John,
>>>
>>> Which amp do you have? I have a 25W one that as supplied requires 500 mW
>>> drive, if the 6dB attenuator were removed it would be 250 mW, if the 1:1
>>> input transformer were replaced with a stepup design (mosfets have high
>>> input Z on 630) I think it might get down to 25 mW. So you might not need
>>> an extra amp stage if your amp is similar.
>>>
>>> The SoftRock RXTX uses a 2N2222 for the driver stage, you could look at
>>> the schematic of that for ideas and see my mod for a MF/LF transformer
>>> design.
>>> http://qsl.net/v/ve7vv//Files/RXTX LF-MF Modification.pdf
>>> 73,

>>> 600MRG at w7ekb.com