[600MRG] From the UTC front page

John Langridge kb5njd at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 10:30:28 CDT 2017

Hi Laurence,

This is nothing new.  The allocation of 10-490 kHz has been part of
UTC's spectrum retention policy for a very long time.  They have
always been regulated under Part-15 but there has been gray area until
about a year ago when UTC changed their website (and their formal
operating name) to reflect the realities of the situation.

You will never find a map and as the R & O indicates, for security
reasons UTC will remain the sole holder of the database.  In fact the
website allows official critical infrastructure users to gain access
to the database. That ain't us.

Unofficial information that comes on good authority from a couple of
PE's that work in power distribution that I've had the pleasure to get
to know over the last few years and "pick their brain" is that in the
lower-48, there is no active PLC above 300 kHz.  In fact one indicates
that there isn't any above 200 kHz.  All of this comes as
word-of-mouth and is not warrantied so take it as you will but these
guys are the real deal and in a position to know these things.

Most signaling on power systems is transitioning to IP which was part
of what drove UTC's official name and agenda change.  That which
remains, mostly in rural areas, is occurring around 53 kHz.

SO when I mentioned yesterday that Mike wasn't going to have any
problems, it was based on this information.

If you look at 97.303(2), you will see that frequencies must overlap
so based on this info, it should not be a problem for most of us on
472.

73,

John KB5NJD / WG2XIQ