[600MRG] Short For The Wavelength Radials

Frank Lotito k3dz at live.com
Wed Mar 1 08:09:38 CST 2017

I have a few questions regarding “short for the wavelength” ground level radial wires for use on base loaded (again, short for the wavelength) vertical antennas for LF and MF.  Your subjective thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated.

Let’s limit the discussion to radial wires made from insulated copper wire, and laid directly on the ground (no attempt for intimate ground to wire contact throughout the wire’s length,) and the lengths of the wires is not equal.  I other words a far from ideal radial system installed in a back yard which just does not have enough of room, such as my back yard.

(1) In the past a popular theory recommended terminating short radials with a ground stake at the wire’s distal end.  As I recall, it was said terminating with a ground stake provides a ”better RF ground return” than not terminating the wire.  Is that still the consensus of thinking?

(2) Suppose all the radial wires are made of 2 lengths of wire.  The first section is “x” feet long, and the second section is “y” feet long.  Suppose there was a ground stake at the junction of wires ”X” and “Y”, and another ground stake at the most distal end of wire “y”.  Does the ground stake at the junction of wires “x” and “y” buy you anything w.r.t. providing a “better RF ground return?”

(3) Considering the ability of a 160 and 630 meter E/M wave to penetrate the earth’s surface, is there a point of diminishing returns when it comes to ground stake length?  Assume the stake is installed normal to the surface.

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions –

73 Frank Lotito   K3DZ / WH2XHA   grid square FN00