[600MRG] RF Controlled Area Detector

Paul Signorelli w0rw1 at msn.com
Sat Jan 21 12:20:19 CST 2017

I have always wanted a TRC-3 (Remote Seismic sensor) but never have acquired one.

The TRC-3 has little pods that are buried out in your selected field area or around your loading coil

and when some one comes by the little detector/transmitter sends out a few beeps on 129.9 and can be detected on a scanner or images on an FM radio.

(See Mark Francis' MIL-SPEC-Radio Gear Technical Manual. p. 228 for info, <https://www.amazon.com/Mil-SPEC-Radio-Gear-Present/dp/0943016339>).

Now there are PIR Detectors that almost do the same thing available on from China.

(PIR is a Passive Infrared Detector).

There are a bunch of 'seconds' on eBay that are really cheap.

They are sold without a base station receiver for about $20 with a receiver.

The PIR Detector which is commonly used for outdoor lights (The use of which is always recommended  by Astronomers), senses any heat body or car that passes with in its range.

These PIR detectors are priced from $3.37 to $6 with free shipping .

They typically transmit on 315 or 433 MHz with really low  power.

I modified an old FM receiver to monitor 433 MHz and the detectors transmit a series of beeps when they are tripped.

You have to build the receiver or order one to hear the PIR transmitter and make sure you order the correct frequency to match your receiver.

The ones I have are <http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-PIR-Motion-Sensor-Driveway-Infrared-Alert-System-Intruder-Alarm-White-/322352218212?hash=item4b0db08064:g:xEkAAOSwImRYR-UY>.

They are not really weather proof so if placed outside need water proofing.

They run on a 9V battery.

As always, on 'seconds', there could be features shown that are not what you get.

Paul   w0rw