[600MRG] Utility noise

Andy - KU4XR ku4xr at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 8 23:21:33 CST 2017

On Wed, 2/8/17, Charles Shanks <2cks at att.net> wrote:

Your observed noise is caused by dirt and dust on the insulators And transformer bushings.
The initial rain helps to connect the Dust particles and thus cause the noisy leakage currents.
Then As the rain bath continues the noise diminishes as the contamination washes away.
First rain after summer is particularly bad.  Best at this time wish for a heavy cloud buster.
 K7TPO  EE

Charles,

Thanks for your input .. you have exactly described the powerline noise as it occurs at my QTH..
Things get quite after a long - dry period with calm wind . When a rain/storm event comes in - the wind
picks up, and the intermittent Bzz Bzzz Bzzzzzzz starts, when the rain begins; it gets horrendous,
then after a period of time it begins to diminish, and usually ends up going away ..
I have sent my power company audio files of the noise, and they agree that it is a powerline issue..
They have found some of the offending poles, and others, they say are on another Utility companies lines.
I do happen to live on the border of a Rural power company ( mine ), and a City Utility that has lines less
than a mile away from me ..

73:

Andy - KU4XR