[600MRG] Power Line Noise vs Moisture

Frank Lotito k3dz at live.com
Wed Feb 8 21:08:01 CST 2017

In a recent 600mrg posting (2/8/17 around 11:59 CST) Andy, KU4XR said:

"A couple of rain shower before the coming storms has really quietend down
the powerlines around me .."

I believe Andy is saying the same thing I've observed for years.  During or immediately after rain showers, the power line noise around my QTH quiets down, usually by a noticeable amount.  In my own mind, I would expect the opposite, the moisture and direct rain would entice corona and arcing, at least across insulators. I can understand how corroded joints on conductors would become more conductive and quiet down.

What's causing this quieting down of the QRN level during rain and immediately after the rain?

If indeed KU4XR's and my observations are correct, what type of technical argument do we use to convince the local utility company that something is amiss on their distribution system?

Maybe I have it all wrong - what I am observing has nothing to do with power line problems -

73 Frank Lotito  K3DZ / WH2XHA