[600MRG] " Junk Box Jewel "

Dave Riley dave.riley3 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 1 13:16:35 CST 2017

Recalling an article in CQ magazine during the mid 50s called " Junk Box
Jewel ", was just the rig I wanted to build. Unfortunately the small and
meager junk box had no such parts to scrounge from. The 'jewel'
consisted of two small aluminum chassis with the power supply built in
to the bottom small chassis and a 6V6/6L6 oscillator amp in the stacked
top chassis. I felt lost so kept resorting to ARC-5 and other surplus
units as a way to stay on the air. The junk pile began to grow at this
point and I must say that 60 plus years later has grown to at least a
source of one of anything to draw from as cannibalized 'parts' for 'new'
home brew projects. At last a decent 'junk pile'...
Edison said something like 'an inventor needs a fire in his belly and a
good pile of junk' ( sic )...
After several years off air I returned to ham radio and decided to get
reacquainted with WSPR on the 630 meter experimental band as WD2XSH/17,
QSL sure via the server...
Two weeks ago this transmit converter appeared from the junk pile which
translates the IC706 down to 475 khz. So using the 706 as the IF @
10.475mhz and a GPS clock output @ 10 mhz. both feeding into the double
balanced mixer does the heavy mixing...

http://www.radiocom.net/600M/JunkBox.jpg

Start with a surplus external hard drive case as they make a very good
home for parts, wires, and sub assemblies holding new prototypes...

On the upper right is the double balanced mixer with three bnc
connectors to/from the outside world.
1. GPS 10 mhz. clock for local oscillator
2. 475 khz output to a low pass filter ( the red/white toroid ) red sma
lead.
3. Low power from the IC706 @ 10.474200 mhz USB as the other input to
the mixer ( upper right )

The IF signal enters it's new home and becomes cleansed @ 475khz through
the red low pass filter toroid, thence to the instrument amp. ( +20dbm
amp. DC-300 mhz. )
The output of the instrument amp is about 10 milliwatts of clean sine
wave, the other mixer products being banished away to someplace (?).
The output of the 'volume control' varies the drive to the former novice
5 watt CW transmitter kit now reworked for use as a continuous duty 1
watt buffer amp which feeds the Ramsey 'remanufactured' Q-Amp with
rewound ferite transformers, added 'real heat sinks' and updated IRF fets.
The original mini housing fan makes for silent cooling for the P-P IRFs
that can pump out 25 watts of clean sine wave @ 475 khz..

This project was fun and full of re-learning... The IC706 was previously
on 10ghz using the same home brew methods..

As of this week the best DX here is to Hawaii over to Norway and Eastern
EU, not so bad for 1 watt eirp... ( lousy antenna )

Have fun, ham radio is still a blast!! ( especially when we get old )
Junk list anyone??

73s from DaveR WD2XSH/17