[600MRG] [Lowfer] X-Mas Fessenden/Heising Transmission

David Stinson arc5 at ix.netcom.com
Sun Dec 24 22:02:23 CST 2017

Here in Texas, N.E. of Dallas, I went out to the
(freezing) barn and turned-on the RAF R1155 and
Palomar Tuned Loop, using my service monitor to
"spot" 486 KC.  At about 0340Z, what I assume was
the WI2XLQ carrier (on 486 KC) was easy aural copy
on a long fade-up, with hints of modulation, but
not strong enough to copy the modulation.  Could
have done a CW QSO easily.  I moved the tuned loop
out of the barn on a long feedline but, as of
about 0350, the carrier was no longer detectable.
Brought the loop back into the barn and still no
signal.  I don't know if it was QSB back down or
if he went off the air.  Too darn cold to stay out
there but wanted you to know you were getting a
signal into N.E. Texas.  Had I a larger loop
outside and been able to wait-out the QSB, it's a
good bet I could have copied some modulation.

"Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night."

73 Dave AB5S