[600MRG] Scopematch question

J Mcvey ac2eu at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 12 08:35:17 CST 2017

Frank had a very good scenario for how to calibrate and use the scope match using X-Y and liiajous patterns to determine phase.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lissajous_curve

|   |
Lissajous curve
 which describe complex harmonic motion. This family of curves was investigated by Nathaniel Bowditch in 1815, an...  |   |

However, the coax mismatch at the antenna has it's own "transformational"  consequences , so the length of the coax will effect what impedance you see at the shack end.The only way to get the  approximate  antenna Z in the shack would require a lamda/2 length of coax .However, that is not practical to do when the that length would have to be 315 METERS X VF.. So if your coax has a VF of .66 , you would need about 208 METERS of coax for the actual antenna Z to be seen at the shack!
Shorter lengths will have varying results . In fact, it may be possible to use the cable length to transform the impedance somewhat. None the less, you will need to know the impedance at the feed point before any of these calculations can be done.
Knowing the staring Z, the Smith chart could be used to find what  length of coax might work as a matching device.Other than that, do the best match at the antenna to minimize the coax reflection issues.

In other words, you have an antenna SYSTEM, which includes the antenna, loads, and feed line. All three are interactive and will affect the impedance presented at the shack.
Jim AC2EU