[600MRG] My Antenna is Freezing

patrick hamel pehamel at cableone.net
Fri Dec 8 22:50:41 CST 2017

Paul,
Of course the cold shrunk the coil and the wire.
You say the antenna is hanging from the tree like mine was.
When the sap in the tree freezes it no longer is conductive and reflecting back to the antenna the reactance and load which you tuned out when it conducted.
Since it is so cold, you probably did not use an R+/-jX meter in the vertical wire which might have shown you the coupling change
(before the meter semiconductors froze)!
The bigger the diameter of the radiator, the less the losses, but nobody in his right mind (even a ham) would go build a 6-wire cage radiator a foot in diameter in this winter weather.
73,
Pat W5THT