[600MRG] 630m allocation in SA?

John Langridge kb5njd at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 20:32:00 CST 2017

The situation in SA is mysterious but in the last year a couple of
countries permit 472 but which ones escape me at the moment.

The biggest issue for those guys is noise due to power system
problems.  Its really rough down there on the low bands from 160m and
down...

There is another interesting development where a lot of these SA
countries have not formally added 472 to the allocation table but a
bit of probing suggests that interested operators can ask their
telecom authority to allow them to operate as amateurs there and they
get approval.  This was highlighted a couple of years ago in central
america where a group was in Costa Rica and received approval to
operate in spite of no formal allocation under their amateur rules
there.

Its a weird situation but like I said, a couple have come on board in
the last year or so and others may follow suit.  A few operators have
braved the noise to listen but success has been limited.  Most
recently, YV7MAE reported a number of NA WSPR stations but he is not
prepared to transmit.

73!

John