[600MRG] My Antenna is Freezing

Paul Signorelli w0rw1 at msn.com
Thu Dec 7 08:02:31 CST 2017

What is de-Q'ing my antenna?

Temp went down to 4F last night and my 30 foot vertical (Hung in a tree) was up to

1.7:1 SWR.

I have been retuning the antenna to keep it 'on frequency' but the SWR is going up and the antenna is broader,

(lost Q).

Normally at 40F it is 1.1:1.

I have heated the antenna coil in the past with a 20A AC supply but that didn't change anything, (the antenna coil is outside).

I wacked the vertical antenna wire but there was no frost on it and that didn't change anything.

Is my ground freezing?

Of course it is...

Could I heat my vertical wire by adding a parallel wire?

Paul   w0rw

@ Ice Station Zebra,

Colorado