[600MRG] A couple of crude Antenna Matching techniques - will either one work

Frank Lotito k3dz at live.com
Fri Dec 1 14:02:48 CST 2017

A question - With certain transmitter designs the output can be quite rich in harmonics. Definitely when we opt for simple minimal output filter solid state designs, and simple single tuned and even double tuned link coupled OT and OOT designs.  Specifically, using no low-pass PI network. Is the simple ammeter technique really prudent to recommend?  Maybe not when the 630 meter second and third harmonis fall in the AM Broadcast Band.
..
In my mind, the simple "tune for max current" runs the risk of tuning up "on the wrong harmonic."  Using a nearby monitor receiver as a "poor man's spectrum analyzer" does not proove much w.r.t. tuning on the correct harmonic, e.g., the fundamental.  I think we should be careful with our advice unless we know for sure the transmitter has a more than adequate low-pass output filter.
..
73 Frank K3DZ / starting to become a moot point WH2XHA