[600MRG] A couple of crude Antenna Matching techniques - will either one work

Andy - KU4XR ku4xr at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 1 00:02:23 CST 2017

Greetings all:

When I reach the point that I want to put some RF into my antenna on 630 meters, I have a problem...
I have no accurate way to know that the matching is correct - bringing the  antenna to resonance.
I have no equipment on hand other than a SWR meter, and a couple  of RF Ammeters..
I have 2 scenarios - are either of these able to make the matching close enough that I will not be burning up finals ?
#1 : The SWR meter will not be accurate, but it " should " at the least show a null .. If I put a RF Ammeter at the
top of the loading coil, and the SWR meter at the bottom of the loading coil, If I can find the Tap / Cap settings
that show maximum RF current on the antenna, and the SWR meter is at null .. Will the
match be close ? #2 : this same method was mentioned to me by using 2 - RF Ammeters.
One on each end of the coil... when I find the Tap / Cap settings that will show the same RF Current on both meters;
then the antenna should be very close to resonance .. the variables in this method would be preferably having
2  Identical RF Ammeters, and hope they are in correct calibration... All opinions, and experience with this will be
most appreciated..

Thanks, and 73 to all:

Andy - KU4XR