[600MRG] NAVTEX

D.J.J. Ring, Jr. n1ea at arrl.net
Tue Aug 22 17:30:39 CDT 2017

NAVTEX updates the message store in the receiver, each message is
numbered.  You can read the messages and scan them for information you
need, say from the Notices to Mariners, you scan them for Buzzard's Bay
Entrance Tower say if you're going to B. Bay.  You also have the weather
printed out to read, so  if you miss the VHF broadcast - or even worse the
HF broadcast - you have something to read.

I'm much rather have  something to read than to listen to a voice
broadcast.  Also I got (nearly) to hate the  MERCASTS (broadcasts to
merchant ships) and Notices to Mariners with all the latitudes and
longitudes, when  this started  coming by NAVTEX, I was  grateful  I didn't
have to copy the CW broadcasts any more.

You're kidding me, you'd rather listen to  VHF than read the reports?

I think that's a waste of time, reading is so much  faster, and  you can go
back if you miss something important instead of listening to the voice
broadcast for the one valuable piece of information you missed.

73

DR
N1EA

ex- Radio  Officer, US Merchant Marine