[600MRG] It seems reasonable to assume UTC will continue opposition to Ham Radio 630m and 2200m operations

John Langridge kb5njd at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 19:58:48 CDT 2017

>4) Now we as RF guys know full well that the PLC could never offer
legitimate "protection" of any kind to a Part 15 user, but they said they
could and charged for it.

I've watched the UTC website content "evolve" since the comment period of
the NPRM back in 2015 when I spent a considerable amount of time digging
for dirt on who they really were.  As I mentioned in previous comments last
weekend, the UTC had a major overhaul in the last year or so, at least as
far as their talking points and notifications are concerned.

Prior to the overhaul and re-thinking of their identity and what they
represent there was nothing in their imaging or anywhere on their
literature to suggest that they were a Part-15 user.  I actually made a
print literature request that was mailed, detailing their services and one
might conclude looking at it that they were some kind of government agency
answerable to no one.  Its unclear what the fine print read on contracts
with paying customers but I suspect there were plenty of mentions that they
could not warranty incursions from licensed services.  But only the
attorney's (who were probably also engineers) probably knew it.

When the new website was released about a year or so ago, UTC's position
and branding shifted significantly such that they were going out of their
way to point out in the open that any frequencies that they were
coordinating were not protected and that users had to accept whatever
interference they encountered.  Look at the last paragraph on the PLC
database page:  http://utc.org/plc-database/ .  That rhetoric was added in
the last year.

Also changed was a strong push for IP infrastructure education and they had
many workshops and roll out meetings scheduled across the country to
discuss the implementation of network based systems for utility engineers.
That, too, was new for them.

So clearly they knew that a major change was coming that necessitated
notifications and they have been  attempting to shift some of their market
share to other technologies (which we already knew) and mitigate liability
from the impending changes to FCC regulation.

Of course this is all anecdotal but it shows a definite shift in their
business model ahead of the R&O.  They could see the writing on the wall.

73,

John

PS:  In spite of all of the negativity floating around the Internet, we are
still in very good shape.