[600MRG] RSSI Versa's Noise reports

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Wed Oct 5 20:22:30 CDT 2016

Its specifically referenced to a bw of 2.5 KHz.  A -18 dB signal
(SNR= -18dB) is at the threshold of hearing for CW.  Typically the
threshold for decoding it -28 dB, but that can vary a couple dB
depending on receiver MDS and local noise levels.  -18 dB on WSJT or
WSPR is the same as -11 dB using the std of 500-Hz for measuring
MDS.  10Log(500/2500) = -7 dB; or -1 dB if you use a bw=50 Hz (which
is the typical ability of human hearing): 10Log(50/2500) = 17 dB.

My SDR-IQ has an MDS of -132 dBm with no antenna and sees from -110
to -120 dBm with antenna connected.  I think this fairly typical for
470-500 KHz conditions.  The one time I copied Rudy's CW his signal
displayed about -98 dBm.  Display bw with Spectravue is different
than audio bw which is sw adjustable with the SDR-IQ.

WSJT and WSPR use the 2.5 KHz reference for signal level display
(which is SNR in dB).

73, Ed - KL7UW