[600MRG] Sampling Oscilloscopes - RF Envelope Monitoring

J Mcvey ac2eu at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 27 19:51:59 CDT 2016

So how slow is the sample rate?

    On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 6:20 PM, Frank Lotito <k3dz at live.com> wrote:

 An acquaintance of mine, K3TF, a retired Tektronix Applications Engineering Manager, solved the mystery of using a sampling scope to monitor the keying envelope of a transmitter, ref my 600mrg bulletin board postings of 7/23 and 7/25/2016.  Below are 2 paragraphs which summarize K3TF's comments on scope photos I sent him.

[[ Yes, looking at the pictures you are seeing classic under-sampling or aliasing. At the slow sweep speeds the sampling rate is much too slow and that is the effect you will see.

I think you will find most of the low end digital scopes will do the same thing. A Tektronix digital scope with the Envelope mode of sampling will work fine. There some relatively low cost Tektronix digital scopes that would work. You would need to contact Tek to get pricing. Make sure you check that it has the envelope mode of sampling in its spec's. ]]

73 Frank K3DZ / WH2XHA