[600MRG] Uncalibrated S-Meter

J Mcvey ac2eu at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 18 13:18:10 CDT 2016

Edward,
No confusion, it's called an analogy. I was saying that the "variable resistor" was analogous to propagation conditions which will change the measurements in both cases.Calibrating the s-meter to s-9/ 50uv with a calibrated generator is all well and good, but in practice of receiving a distant station ( other than ground wave) the s reading can vary minute to minute, day to day. due to propagation. All you can say for sure is that the signal was s- something at some given moment tin time.

You must be looking to measure the ground wave in a special case.situation.  I don't know...
Being such a sticker for accuracy, you still concede that the MW ground wave is 'NEARLY" invariant, meaning slightly variable just like the s-meters!

 Even if the remote station has an s-meter error, assuming it's linear, an improvement in ground wave signal can still be  noted.  Also, you are transmitting to HAM stations not commercial stations, so it is what it is.  Life is too short to stress over trivia.