[600MRG] Uncalibrated S-Meter

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Mon Jul 18 10:35:09 CDT 2016

Frank,

At 04:07 AM 7/18/2016, Frank Lotito wrote:
>In discussing the measurement of noise some of us have used the
>phrase "uncalibrated S-Meter."  What is an "uncalibrated S-Meter?"
>What makes us think that without challenge, S-Meters are unreliable,
>while signal strength meters reading out in microvolts or dBm are
>any more accurate?

Most ham radio s-meters are not an accurate measure of signal
power.  But do not take my word for that - measure it.  Inject a
signal of known level (say from a signal generator of recent
calibration) and read what the meter indicates.  An awful lot will
not show S9 with 50 uv carrier signal.  Then lower the signal in 6-dB
increments noting what the meter indicates.  My FT-847 was not too
bad but S2 to S3 was 7-dB and S7 to S8 was 5-dB so the meter was not
even linear with power.  That's OK if handing out signal reports, I
suppose, but hardly a reliable indicator if you are making technical
measurements.  My K3 appears much better in both regards (I'd say its
within 1/2 dBm and quite linear).

The difference for the Elecraft and other SDR's is that signal level
is measured in the digital domain and displayed digitally (LCD screen
has no magnetic movement that requires precise alignment).  Or if the
signal is displayed on a computer screen it represents the digital
information obtained from DSP and not a simple micro-ammeter with
physical movement.  Note I'm not saying all receivers but most
receivers.  Laboratory instrument meters can be calibrated and
measure accurate ac levels (e.g. a good audio voltmeter).

>  If for example, if S9 means 50 uV at the antenna terminal of a
> receiver having a nominal 50 ohm input impedance, wouldn't the
> microvolt readout option indicate 50 uV?  The dBM readout option
> indicate -73 dBm? (For those receivers where we can select the
> signal strength unit, S-unit, dBm, or microvolt.)

If you have not tested it with a calibrated signal then the s-meter
is uncalibrated.  If it passes both accuracy and linearity tests then
you are good.

>Granted, the glow-in-the-dark, heavy-iron boat anchor's S-Meter in
>all likely hood  has a signal strength metering circuit that lacks
>not only accuracy, but also "repeatability." Maybe some of the newer
>design solid state receives suffer the same ills?   Ditto for RF
>spectrum analyzers, RF level meters, RF signal generators with
>built-in output meters / step attenuators.

Depends on mfr quality and how recent the instrument was
calibrated.  That's what the calibration sticker is all about.  Most
hams have surplus stuff which is mostly out of date for
calibration.  But the instrument may not be that far off and probably
provides original linearity.  But we do not know for certain unless
they are recertified.  Example is I have a HP432A (circa 1970's)
which I depend on for mw level power measurements.  It could be off a
dB or so, but I have no access to calibrate it so I just decide its
my standard against which all my other equipment is measured.  Same
for frequency; I have a surplus Rubidium source of 10-MHz which is
supposed to be within +/- 5 E-11 = +/- 0.000000000005 Hz.  It might
not be dead on but good enough for my use.

>At our individual stations, repeatability is more important than
>accuracy. I submit even linearity is more important, e.g. each
>S-Unit really is a step of "X" dBm? When we compare the measurement
>results between stations, accuracy and repeatibility are both important.

See my comments , above.

>There are ways to determine a signal measuring device's "accuracy
>and repeatibility."  Can you suggest one or more methods  of doing
>that other than "using a calibrated signal generator that has not
>seen the inside of a bona-file RF calibration lab" in the past 10 to
>20 years?  I don't believe we can for accuracy.  However, within the
>confines of our own shack, our "A" vs "B" measurements, especially
>when we can do the comparison by flipping a switch in a fraction of
>a second, should not be clouded by accuracy concerns.

Yes and no.  Granted our test equipment is probably not lab-accurate,
but some items are much better than others.  The typical s-meter is
very low in accuracy in that universe.  I trust my SDR displays and
my surplus HP spectrum analyzer over s-meters (unless I have
rigorously checked the s-meter against a more trustworthy instrument).

An example is measuring noise figure.  I don't own a NF meter but I
can verify my system performance by measuring sun noise.  Of course
that varies but one can get an accurate daily solar flux reading from
one of the solar observatories.  That probably gets you within +/- 1
sfu which I believe is measured in Janksies.  I don't have to do the
math to determine my solar reception as I have sw to do that.  The
performance figure of merit is a comparison of cold sky noise to
solar noise called a Y-factor which is expressed in dB (and
convertible to dBm).

But I agree that for hams its all relative; some hams are more
exacting than others.  If I really need to get an accurate
measurement or calibrate an instrument I can ask one of them to do
that.  May not be cal-lab level but I'll bet its much closer than I
can get by myself.  I take my preamps to VHF conferences which offer
NF measuring with equipment borrowed from commercial labs that are
certified.  Helps me know how my stuff is doing.