[600MRG] ICOM R70 Receiver, continued

Bill Cromwell wrcromwell at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 08:04:10 CDT 2016

Hi Frank,

I was going to mention the solution offered by Ed, KL7UW, to install a
rechargeable battery to keep the memory. It will be slightly more
complicated than just hanging a battery across the built-in memory power
supply but not by very much. I have some schematics here as an example
from a commercially built radio from Ten Tec if you can't find something
closer to hand. The exercise keeps the battery and other parts of the
radio from seeing one another. In your radio just hanging an appropriate
battery across the memory supply might actually work. That supply should
already isolate the backup voltage (and current). Maybe just a 'current
limiting' resistor into the deal. The one radio I have with memories is
down for repairs to the power supply (again). All the rest - including
some solid state radio of not-too-old-age I just dial up the frequency
(and mode) I want to use. The mechanical tuning doesn't need to be
backed up and reliably power up on the last used frequency and mode <sly
grin>. Having a few programmable memory "channels" available is a nice
convenience, though.

73,

Bill  KU8H